Staying on track…

2 Jul

It’s been a few weeks now. I’ve been doing pretty good…(okay, AMAZINGLY good for me)…staying on track. I think what is surprising me the most is that my energy level is at a consistantly much higher level. I actually went outside and spent a few hours working on my yard, which I’ve pretty much ignored for the last two summers. I’ve also got the carpet and pad pulled up, staples cleared, and everything ready to go to start laying wood in one of my downstairs bedrooms. We started replacing all of our carpets SIX YEARS ago. Got the upstairs done and the downstairs 70% done and then we petered out and never got the will to start again ’til now. This bedroom is the last major space to do (another bedroom has a few more rows to finish and the space under the stairs is half laid. Once that’s down, I may see if I can scrape together enough money to pay someone to come sand it and put the finish on. The upstairs took us weeks to sand. It’s brazilian cherry and hard as a rock.

I also am happy again. I was pretty cheerful and optimistic as a kid and a young adult, but over the last 15 or 20 years, I turned into a grouch. Everything upset me and I felt depressed and frustrated over every little thing. Honestly, I feel like I’m waking up after a lot of years of sleep-walking.

I’ve discovered that I have to avoid caffeine, tea, and soda. I’ve completely gone off coffee, and only had a small amount of soda twice in the weeks since I started. Tea is a little harder, but I bet I’ve cut my intake to a quarter or less of what I was drinking.

I’ve had three setbacks:  First was with too much tea one day. Wound up drained and tired. The next was a few days ago, cleaning a desk with a commercial cleaning spray that I’ve used for years and years. The smell was really strong and I had a gut check about using it but did anyway. The next day I felt as bad as I ever had–lethargic, bloated, cranky, tired. The last was a couple nights ago when I ate out a restaurant with my honey. Had a steak, broccoli, mashed potatoes, and a piece of french bread. Shared a brownie with my husband and drank water, but later that evening my ankles and feet were swollen and I couldn’t fall asleep all night. I wonder if the steak had msg or something? The good thing was that in all these cases, I went back to my plan and felt better again within two or three days. What a relief!!! I am LOVING this.

I must figure out what to do with my hair though. It’s shoulder length and blonde (greying). I’ve been trying to wash it using just baking soda dissolved in water, followed by a vinegar rinse. It feels soft and doesn’t look greasy when it is dry, but doesn’t feel smooth and sleek like I like. I can’t go back to using stuff with sodium laurel sulfate. But I haven’t liked any of the brands I’ve tried from the nutrition department so far.

Next step is laundry soap. I picked up a bar of fels naptha, some washing soda, and a box of borax. I’m going to try the powdered laundry soap recipes I’ve found online. Soon.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: